Runny nose, watery eyes, frequent sneezing attacks…
If these symptoms are a regular occurrence at this time of year, you could be suffering from hay fever.
Hay fever is an allergy to pollen that affects around twenty percent of people in the UK. The main triggers of hay fever are tree and grass pollen.
The grass pollen season normally starts around mid-April and lasts till the end of August. However, because of the particularly poor weather this year, it is believed that the grass and tree pollen seasons will coincide, meaning this year could be one of the worst years for hay fever sufferers in decades.
To help alleviate the symptoms of hay fever try following these tips:
- Stay indoors during the pollen peak – early morning and late afternoon
- Keep windows and doors shut, particularly when driving
- Dust with a wet cloth, rather than a dry one, to stop pollen from being spread around
- Wear wrap around sunglasses
- Have a shower and wash your hair after you’ve been outside
- Wash your hands after gardening
- Use air filters in the home and car
- Quit smoking
- Avoid strong perfumes
Medication can also provide relief during the hay fever season and PharmacyDirectGB have a wide range of popular hay fever products available to purchase online.
For a full list of products including details of our online consultation service please visit our hay fever and allergy relief page.