- Embarrassing Conditions
- Sexual Health
- Baby Care
- Test Kits
Cholesterol Lowering Service
Our service includes a free consultation with our online doctor, a private prescription (if suitable), and the supply of statins to help lower your cholesterol levels.
The following statins are available from PharmacyDirectGB:
- Crestor (Rosuvastatin)
- Inegy (Simvastatin combined with Ezetimibe)
- Lipitor (Atorvastatin)
- Lipostat (Pravastatin)
- Zocor (Simvastatin)
Statins are cholesterol-lowering medicines. They may be used to treat:
- primary hypercholesterolaemia - a high level of cholesterol in the blood due to lifestyle factors such as a high-fat diet or not doing enough exercise
- familial hypercholesterolaemia - a high level of cholesterol in the blood due to inheriting a gene, which means your liver makes lots of cholesterol
Statins may also be used to reduce your risk of having a heart attack or stroke if you have:
- angina (chest pain) or previously had a heart attack
- transient ischaemic attacks ('mini strokes') or previously had a stroke
- peripheral vascular disease (narrowing of blood vessels, usually in the legs)
- diabetes and are over 40 or
- diabetes and are under 40 but have other risk factors for heart disease such as poor blood sugar control, high blood pressure or a family history of heart disease in a relative younger than 40
How they work
Statins reduce the production of cholesterol by the liver.
In particular, they reduce the production of 'bad' cholesterol called low density lipoprotein (LDL).
If you have a high amount of LDL cholesterol in your blood, it can form fatty deposits in the lining of your arteries (blood vessels). This causes furring and narrowing of the arteries, known as atherosclerosis, which in turn restricts the blood flow and can increase your risk of having heart disease or a stroke.
The liver makes most of your body's cholesterol at night. For this reason, it is recommended that many of the statins (Inegy, Lescol, Lipostat and Zocor) are taken in the evening so the amount of the statin in your body will be highest when the liver is producing the most cholesterol.
About Your Consultation
There is no charge for your online consultation. The cost of a private prescription is £24. If your consultation is successful a private prescription will be issued. If your consultation is unsuccessful you will be refunded in full.
You will receive an email detailing the doctor's diagnosis, usually within 1 working day of completing your online consultation.
If a private prescription is issued it will be sent to PharmacyDirectGB. If you purchased your medication at the same time as your private prescription, your order will be dispatched automatically.
If your consultation is successful, but you did not purchase any medication, you will have the opportunity to log back into PharmacyDirectGB and buy the medication you require.